Utilizing a combination of blocks and parries, a Shien user has a proper foundation in terms of defense against both ranged and melee attacks. Immediately after defending against an opponent’s strike, a Shien stylist would follow with an attack of their own, bringing the force of the opponent’s blow against them and seeking to dominate the duel. Shien placed a heavy focus on pure strength and power, with wide, powerful strikes and parries followed by a counterattack.
Shien is particularly weak against a single opponent and is known for having a lack of mobility. However, a skilled duelist is capable of compensating for these weaknesses and employing the form effectively in combat.
Shien had an emphasis on strength and power, allowing a user to make good use of his or her own physical size and strength. Power attacks from a Shien user could even knock an opponent back just through sheer kinetic force, throwing them off balance and leaving them vulnerable to further brute force strikes and power blows that sought not just to penetrate an opponent’s defense, but push them back and leave them unable to counter-blow.
- Skills: Saber or Forcesword; Parry Ranged/Beam Weapons; Power Blow
- Techniques: Aggressive Parry; Targeted Attack (Saber or Forcesword, Swing/ Face); Targeted Attack (Saber or Forcesword, Swing/Neck); Targeted Attack (Saber or Forcesword, Swing/Arm); Targeted Attack (Saber or Forcesword, Swing/Leg)
- Cinematic Skills: Blind Fighting
- Cinematic Techniques: Flying Lunge (Forcesword)
- Skills: Double-Bladed Forcesword